Re: temporal support patch

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: temporal support patch
Дата
Re: temporal support patch
Список pgsql-hackers
On 8/20/12 4:17 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> The issue with adding the PostgreSQL role to the database in this way is
> that you now can never delete that role or reassign it to another entity.  I
> guess with temporal you could do so and basically have the identity-role
> relationship define over specific periods of time...  I can (have) imagine a
> whole level of indirection and association to be able to reasonably handle
> assigning and storing permanent identities while allowing logon credentials
> to remain outside of permanent storage.

This is sounding like a completely runaway spec on what should be a
simple feature.

If you want something in core which will be useful to a lot of our
users, it needs to be simple and flexible.  Not ornate with lots of
dependancies. The first version of it should be as simple and minimalist
as possible.

Personally, I would prefer a tool which just made it simpler to build my
own triggers, and made it automatic for the history table to track
changes in the live table.  I think anything we build which controls
what goes into the history table, etc., will only narrow the user base.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.