Re: Wiki link for max_connections? (Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PostgreSQL oom_adj postmaster process to -17)

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Wiki link for max_connections? (Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PostgreSQL oom_adj postmaster process to -17)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
>> I see that we currently have five links to wiki.postgresql.org in
>> release notes and four more in the rest of the docs.  Are people
>> OK with adding this link to the docs on max_connections?  (Feel
>> free to improve it before answering if you have qualms about the
>> specifics on that page.)
>
> I'm generally not in favor of linking to the wiki unless there's
> some reason that it wouldn't be appropriate to include the
> material in the documentation in some form.  I don't see that
> that's the case here.
All right, but we *really* need to actually get *something* into the
docs on this, preferably back-patched.  In the -admin thread which
prompted Craig to plead for a link to the Wiki page, the OP thought
it was reasonable to worry about how to configure the oom killer to
deal with the situation that his 600 connections used all 32GB of
RAM *plus* the 32GB of swap space he has configured.  Imagine what
performance must be like by the time it gets to *that* point!
The OP clearly has read the docs, because he was attempting to take
advice from the section on Linux Memory Overcommit.  But as far as I
have seen, there is nothing in the docs to suggest connection
pooling.  It is far better to avoid the oom killer by connection
pooling than to tweak the oom killer configuration, yet you wouldn't
have a clue about that from the docs.
I actually think that the issue merits space in the docs roughly
matchnig the Wiki page.  Perhaps we could find a place in the Server
Setup and Operation chapter to more-or-less include the current Wiki
page contents, and reference *that* from the max_connections docs?
-Kevin

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Wiki link for max_connections? (Fwd: Re: [ADMIN] PostgreSQL oom_adj postmaster process to -17)
От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: Statistics and selectivity estimation for ranges