Re: Smaller data types use same disk space

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Smaller data types use same disk space
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/26/2012 07:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> It's more or less the same discussion. To do either one you need to
> decouple the internal column order from what the user sees. I do not
> think we'd bother with building the infrastructure involved if the
> only application were squeezing out alignment padding;

Is there any way to determine the amount of space lost to alignment
padding within a row at the moment - without creation of dummy tables? I
don't see any admin functions for determining the on-disk size of a row.
Of course, I've been known to be hopelessly blind before.

--
Craig Ringer