Re: Segmentation fault

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Segmentation fault
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/19/2012 12:37 AM, Amod Pandey wrote:
Server stopped due to Segmentation Fault. Server was running successfully for an year.

PostgreSQL: 9.0.3

from /var/log/messages

Jul 18 19:00:03 ip-10-136-22-193 kernel: [18643442.660032] postgres[6818]: segfault at 170a8c6f ip 000000000044c94d sp 00007fff9fee5b80 error 4 in postgres[400000+495000]

from pg log

LOG:  server process (PID 6818) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

Please suggest if there is a way to find out the issue.

Did the crash produce a core file ?

You haven't mentioned what Linux distro or kernel version you're on, and defaults vary. Look in your PostgreSQL datadir and see if there are any files with "core" in the name.

Unfortunately most Linux distros default to not producing core files. Without a core file it'll be nearly impossible because the segfault message reported by the kernel only contains the instruction pointer and stack pointer. The stack pointer is invalid and useless without a core file, and with address space layout randomisation active the instruction pointer offsets are all randomised for each execution, so the ip doesn't tell you much on ASLR systems either.

If you can show more of the PostgreSQL logs from around the incident that would possibly be helpful.

--
Craig Ringer