Re: Checkpointer split has broken things dramatically (was Re: DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation)

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Checkpointer split has broken things dramatically (was Re: DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/18/2012 12:00 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> The second justification for the split was that it seems easier to get
> a low power result from, which I believe was the angle Peter Geoghegan
> was working when this popped up originally.  The checkpointer has to
> run sometimes, but only at a 50% duty cycle as it's tuned out of the
> box.  It seems nice to be able to approach that in a way that's power
> efficient without coupling it to whatever heartbeat the BGW is running
> at.  I could even see people changing the frequencies for each
> independently depending on expected system load.  Tune for lower power
> when you don't expect many users, that sort of thing.

Yeah - I'm already seeing benefits from that on my laptop, with much
less need to stop Pg when I'm not using it.

--
Craig Ringer

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Using pg_upgrade on log-shipping standby servers
От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: Re: Checkpointer split has broken things dramatically (was Re: DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation)