Re: getting domain information from query results

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: getting domain information from query results
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Marco Baringer <mb@bese.it> writes:
> it seems, if my understanding of the protocol is correct, that the oid
> of the underlying type, text in this case, is returned and not the oid
> of the domain.

That's correct.  This was an intentional decision long ago, and we're
unlikely to reconsider now for fear of breaking applications.  (IIRC,
the argument was that client-side code was most likely to be concerned
with matters like the textual representation of the value, and so getting
told about domains would just complicate life.)

> i tried creating a new type (which have solved my problem with the
> "wrong" oid getting returned with the query results), but then realized
> i'd have to implement all of the associated operators for my new type as
> well (they'd just be cut 'n pastes of the equivalent operators for
> varchar, but that's still a bit more work than i'd like to do at this
> point).

If you'd dug a bit more deeply, you'd have noticed that varchar doesn't
*have* any operators; it relies on text's operators via an implicit cast
to text.  You could likely do the same for a custom string type.  This
answer doesn't scale to non-string data types of course, but it might
be good enough for your situation.