Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: Performance tuning on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--=======67E74690=======

But isn't the problem when the planner screws up and not the sortmem setting?

There was my case where the 7.4 planner estimated 1500 distinct rows when
there were actually 1391110. On 7.3.4 it used about 4.4MB. Whereas 7.4
definitely used more than 400MB for the same query ) - I had to kill
postgresql - didn't wait for it to use more. That's a lot more than 200%.
Maybe 3x sort_mem is too low, but at least by default keep it below server
RAM/number of backends or something like that.

Even if the planner has improved a lot if cases like that still occur from
time to time it'll be a lot better for stability/availability if there's a
limit.

Doubt if I still have the same data to test on 8.0.

Link.