Re: pg jdbc driver

От Dino Nardini
Тема Re: pg jdbc driver
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello there,

Is there no way to force the JDBC driver to simply pass the data as
SQL-ASCII, or ignore the encoding altogether?

I tried to dump and restore the database with UNICODE encoding but get
errors on restore because there is quotes/double quotes within some of the
text data.  Is there an encoding that will handle both french language
characters and quotes/double quotes?

Cheers... Dino

At 08:23 PM 08/08/2004 -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Dino Nardini wrote:
>
> > However, when I tested the same data with ColdFusion MX (built on a Java
> > platform), I ran into problems.  The french characters were either
> throwing
> > "Invalid character..." errors, or displaying as garbage.  I'm guessing
> that
> > CFMX was trying to convert the characters from SQL_ASCII to something else
> > (UTF-8?) somewhere between the database and the web page.
>
>The invalid character data errors are coming from the JDBC driver.  When
>it connects to the database it asks the server to send it data using UTF-8
>regardless of the actual database encoding.  The server cannot convert
>SQL_ASCII to UTF-8 and simply returns the SQL_ASCII data.  The JDBC driver
>is expected UTF-8 data and chokes on this, so as you mentioned you will
>need to dump and restore into a database with a "real" encoding.  This
>doesn't necessarily have to be unicode, but often makes the most sense.
>
>Kris Jurka

Rivendell Software - Dynamic Web Solutions
http://www.rivendellsoftware.com
Tel 902.461.1697
Fax 902.461.3765