Re: sql command

От P. Jourdan
Тема Re: sql command
Дата
Список pgsql-php
At 09:08 AM 5/3/2002 +1000, Chris Smith wrote:

>>Could someone explain to me why sql commands work in php with pgsql?
>
>?? Why wouldn't they? :P

I'm too new at this to understand. That's why I ask. What I don't
understand is this: is sql generic as opposed to specific comands in mySQL
and/or postgreSQL?
I now understand that in my problem below you are right, there was an
sqlconnect function created as you suggested below.
Then, what would be the reason to use this sqlconnect function rather than
pg_connect? Can't parameters be passed on to the pg_connect in the same way
as they are passed on to the created sqlconnect? It seems like extra work
or a bit of redundancy in creating a function that exists?

>It looks like the author wrote a function called 'sqlconnect' which takes
>an array of data to (obviously) connect to the server.
>
>The function would probably look something like this:
>
>function sqlconnect($connectionarray) {
>pg_connect("host=$connectionarray['server'] user=$connectionarray['user']
>password=$connectionarray['password'] dbname=$connectionarray['database']");
>}
>
>(with more error checking and comments of course).

This is what I found (the MySQL references are there because the db was
migrated from MySQL to PostgreSQL):

function SQLConnect($params='') {
     global $dbh;
     /*
      * MySQL equivalent:
      *  $dbh=mysql_pconnect( $db_server,$db_user,$db_password );
      */
     if(isset($params['server'])) {
         $connect="host=".$params['server'];
     }
     else {
         $connect='host=localhost';
     }
     if(isset($params['port'])) {
         $connect.=' port='.$params['port'];
     }
     else {
         $connect.=' port=5432';
     }
     if(isset($params['user'])) {
         $connect.=' user='.$params['user'];
     }
     if(isset($params['database'])) {
         $connect.=' dbname='.$params['database'];
     }
     if(isset($params['password'])) {
         $connect.=' password='.$params['password'];
     }
     $dbh=pg_pconnect($connect);
}

Thanks,