Re: moving postgres data

От Mo Holkar
Тема Re: moving postgres data
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
At 09:17 31/10/01, you wrote:
>I have data in a postgres database on one server and have to move it to a
>new server that has been set up with a new version of postgres.  The
>database is an exact copy. what is the best way of moving the thing across?
>do i set up the tables on the new box and write scripts to move it across or
>is there another way of doing this?

Easiest way would be to dump the database to a text file:

   % pg_dump yourdatabase > /path/to/dumpfile

copy it to the new server, and read it to an empty database using psql -e:

   % psql -e yourdatabase < /newpath/to/dumpfile

This way all the schema are recreated, and the data loaded into them,
automatically -- you don't have to set anything up by hand. See the
documentation on pg_dump for more information.

best,

Mo

Mo Holkar
Digital Mind Games -- log on to take over
mo.holkar@digitalmindgames.com
http://www.digitalmindgames.com