Re: Server testing.

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: Server testing.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I used the cpuburn program too ( http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/ ). It REALLY
heats up the processor - interesting to watch the +5 volt immediately drop
significantly (using healthd -d). The other voltages also change accordingly.

The test doesn't touch files unlike a kernel recompile, so if you find you
have a flaky system there's a lower chance of a corrupted filesystem.

Plus compiling doesn't put as much load on my CPU - the +5V doesn't drop as
much. I suspect there's not as much FPU access whilst compiling. And the
FPU units are significant power consumers.

Not sure what to use for testing P4s tho (there isn't a cpuburn test
specifically for P4s). I'm using an Athlon XP so I use the burnK7 program.

Good luck,
Link.