SOLUTION : pgsql 7.2 on Cygwin PGSTAT : Connection(2) refused error message after postmaster starting

От Tim Finch, FosterFinch Ltd
Тема SOLUTION : pgsql 7.2 on Cygwin PGSTAT : Connection(2) refused error message after postmaster starting
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Jason, & list members,

Well I have solved the problem of the PGSTAT : Connection refused error.

ZoneAlarm

After going round the houses attempting to sus-out the problem, I suddenly
had a momentary lapse of reason and thought that Zonealarm could be
affecting things.

I of course registered postmaster, postgres.exe and psql.exe as programs to
allow traffic, when I first installed 7.1.3 postgresql in cygwin 1.3.9.

For some reason, unexplainable to me, the settings inside Zonealarm must
have got confused because they were now working against me. I went to the
Programs list and removed the entries from zone alarm, and then tried
starting the postmaster (the point at which I had been getting the PGSTAT
Connection refused message many times in the last few days) and ... IT
WORKED!!!

Of course Zonealarm asked me'do you want to allow postmaster to ....' and I
duly responded. They are now all back in the list in Zone Alarm and no
longer complaining....

So, for anyone reading this, or searching the archives and reading this,
CHECK YOUR FIREWALL!

May it be pertinent to add a line in the docs that go with the builds of
Pgsql in cygwin to say something similar?

Many many thanks to Jason on this list for all his help in solving this
trouble. Despite the fact it was nothing to do with pgsql or cygwin, its
nice to know someone could hear my cries. The process of attempting to fix
it has of course been a real learning experience and now I understand much
more about cygwin, pgsql installs etc. etc.

I suppose, I could have always turned my red hat box back on but that would
have been cheating now wouldn't it!!

Tim Finch,
FosterFinch Ltd
http://www.fosterfinch.co.uk