[HOSTING QUESTION] - Advice on a decent PostgreSQL host?

От Chris McCormick
Тема [HOSTING QUESTION] - Advice on a decent PostgreSQL host?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello all,
    First, let me say that this is my initial post to this group, and if I'm
sending this to the wrong place, please feel free to move it or tell me
where to post.

To be short, I'm having a heckuva time finding a host with what I need.
I've looked everywhere, but with no luck. Here's my story.

    THE PROBLEM: I received an e-mail this morning, telling me that all the
files on my web server had been wiped out.  "Server error," they said.  No
backup, that's it.  I have most of my source material on my hard drive, but
it will take forever to rebuild.  I used this company because they were
fairly cheap for the bandwidth, but no more.

    WHAT I DO: I am creating a collaborative art history site.  Users will be
able to upload images, and edit metadata (dates, comments, add articles,
create cross-links, etc.).  It will all be free - basically a non-profit
public works project for the arts community.  As you might guess, this will
involve many users, many transactions, and fairly high disk space/bandwidth.

    WHAT I NEED TO FIND: I need the following things:
    1. PostgreSQL 7.x
    2. PHP 4.06 (Must be 4.06, because I'm using advanced image features for
automatic thumbnail creation, etc.)
    3. 500 MB or more disk space.
    4. 2 GB or more bandwidth.

    As I haven't launched the site (and won't for a while now, heh) I can do
without much bandwidth, but eventually I will want to ramp it up.

    WHAT I DON'T REALLY NEED:
    1. I don't need any e-mail addresses.
    2. I don't need java of any sort.
    3. I don't need perl.
    4. I don't need any kind of CGI.
    5. I don't need any kind of e-commerce, shopping carts, etc (It's all free!).

Does anyone know of a host that has a clue about postgres, and is not
exorbitant?  This is a personal labor of love, and completely free of ads
or selling stuff.  Are there are any decent postgres nonprofit web hosts
out there?  I have to have the space, because it's all so image-heavy.

Thanks for reading and for any help you can provide.  I really really want
to stick with postgres, but if I can't find a decent host, I fear I may
have to switch to MySQL...

- Chris
   www.the-athenaeum.org (Currently down)   :-(