General database programming question

От Denis Gasparin
Тема General database programming question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi to all!
         I want to ask a general database programming question. Here it is...
In a programming language that handles exceptions, where I have to put the
db.commit/db.rollback statement? These are some solutions...

//db is a generic database connection object

/* SOLUTION 1 */
db.begin(); //begin transaction
try:
         db.query("UPDATE...."); //Execute a db query
         db.commit();    //commit changes to database
except:
         //the query has generated an exception
         db.rollback();

/* SOLUTION 2 */
db.begin(); //begin transaction
try:
         db.query("UPDATE...."); //Execute a db query
except:
         //the query has generated an exception
         db.rollback();
else:
         //Here executes only if there are no exceptions in try statement
         db.commit();    //commit changes to database

Which is the best solution according to your experience? Is there others
different solutions?

Thank for the tips...
Regards,

Eng. Denis Gasparin: denis@edistar.com
Programmer & System Administrator - Edistar srl