Re: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql

От Ryan Mahoney
Тема Re: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I only have experience with Red Hat, Solaris 8 (intel), and LinuxPPC.  What
do you see as the downside of running Red Hat?  My intention is to run RH
7.1, although I can surely be swayed if you can offer some compelling
FreeBSD benefits.

BTW, the input on hardware was very useful.  I ordered a Dell today w/ gig
ram, dual 1ghz PIII and Raid 1 18gig scsi hard drives.  I'm excited!

-r

At 06:52 PM 5/2/01 -0500, GH wrote:

>On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:35:13PM +0100, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> > Our db server running 7.1 got *torched* today, system ran between 30% an
> > 80% CPU all day!  Right now the server is running on a Penguin Computing
> > 800mhz PIII w/ 128 ram and IDE hardware.
> >
> > Tomorrow I'd like to place an order for something more robust... looking
> > into dual PIII, gig of ram and SCSI Raid.  Planning on running Red Hat 7.1
> > on this machine.
>
>I think that anyone whose opinion matters would recommend running
>something *other* than RedHat. FreeBSD is an excellent operating system
>and is well suited to a PostgreSQL environment.
>

>gh
>
>*snip*
> > You're input is tremendously appreciated!
> >
> > -r
> >
> > Ryan Mahoney
> > CTO, Payment Alliance, Inc.
> > ryan@paymentalliance.net