Re: make world and install-world without docs

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: make world and install-world without docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/1/21 6:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> On 31.05.21 16:16, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> make SKIPDOCS=1 world
>>> make SKIPDOCS=1 install-world
>> Maybe this should be configure option?  That's generally where you set
>> what you want to build or not build.  (That might also make the
>> buildfarm integration easier, since there are already facilities to
>> specify and report configure options.)
> Hmm, I think I prefer Andrew's way.  The fact that I don't want
> to build the docs right now doesn't mean I won't want to do so
> later --- in fact, that sequence is pretty exactly what I do
> whenever I'm working on a patch.  It'd be annoying to have
> to re-configure to make that work.

Yes, agreed. If you don't like the SKIPDOCS=1 mechanism, let's just
invent a couple of new targets instead, say `world-bin` and
`install-world-bin`.

I'm inclined to agree with Alvaro that the messages are at best an
oddity. Standard Unix practice is to be silent on success.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan