A new log analysis tool for Postgres is available

От Baron Schwartz
Тема A new log analysis tool for Postgres is available
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I've just committed a log-parsing front-end for mk-query-digest, a
tool included in Maatkit, so it can parse and analyze Postgres log
files.  I encourage people to try this functionality and give feedback
by replying here, adding to
http://code.google.com/p/maatkit/issues/detail?id=535, or jumping on
the Maatkit mailing list.  A brief mental Q&A of things I expect
people to ask:

Q: Why another log analysis tool?  Isn't pgfouine good enough?

A: The mk-query-digest log analysis tool already existed, and lots of
work has gone into making it very good.  All I did was add a
pg-capable parser to it.  I am not trying to play king-of-the-mountain
with any other log analysis tool, but in brief browsing around I saw
complaints that a mere GB or three of log files was taking hours to
parse in pgfouine.  I don't have real-life files that big myself, but
mk-query-digest has been extensively tuned for performance and has no
problems with many gigs of files in other formats (but please do watch
out for memory consumption; Perl hogs RAM.  Run this on a non-critical
server, please.)  Additionally, mk-query-digest has some nice
properties: just download-and-go with no installation necessary;
written in Perl with minimal dependencies so no PHP install or CPAN
libraries are necessary; and lots more.  Finally, it's not a me-too
tool; it is different from pgfouine and different might be a good
thing.

Q: How do I get it?