Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

От Baron Schwartz
Тема Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Fetter just pointed this thread out to me.  I think anything
that makes PostgreSQL more accessible could be a good thing.  In some
sense it's harder to learn a technology when you are very familiar
with another similar one already.  Is it easier to learn to type on
Dvorak, or to learn QWERTY and then switch to Dvorak?  Switching was
harder for me than learning initially.

So I guess my advice, since David asked me :-) is not to underestimate
the pain of switching.  I don't know whether this patch is the Right
Answer, but I think the sentiment is something to be encouraged.  If
it's not the right answer, then maybe some brainstorming and user
input will reveal creative alternatives.  I'll start:

== begin ==

Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor: Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
  type \? for help on slash commands  type \mysql for a quick MySQL-to-PostgreSQL cheatsheet

somedb=> \mysql

psql uses backslash keywords instead of SHOW commands.  There is
also a standard INFORMATION_SCHEMA if you're familiar with that.
The following commands might be helpful as you learn how to use psql:
 Command in mysql  Command in psql ================  =============== SHOW TABLES       \dt DESCRIBE          \d ... and
soon.

== end ==

The full list of SHOW commands, should anyone be interested, is at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/en/show.html

Cheers,
Baron

Сообщение: Re: tab completion for prepared transactions?
Сообщение: Re: tab completion for prepared transactions?