Re: [GENERAL] looking for a globally unique row ID

От Rafal Pietrak
Тема Re: [GENERAL] looking for a globally unique row ID
Дата
Список pgsql-general

W dniu 15.09.2017 o 20:49, Rob Sargent pisze:

> On 09/15/2017 12:45 PM, Adam Brusselback wrote:
>>
>>     I cannot image a single postgres index covering more than one
>>     physical table. Are you really asking for that?
>>

>> While not available yet, that is a feature that has had discussion
>> before.  Global indexes are what i've seen it called in those
>> discussions.  One of the main use cases is to provide uniqueness
>> across multiple tables, which would also allow things like foreign
>> keys on partitioned tables.
> I had a sneaking suspicion that partitioning would be the use-case, but
> clearly there's at least the 'notion' of a single entity

But (from my particular application perspective) it's quite vital.

Still, pondering ways to restructure my schema I came to conclusions
that having an index covering inherited hierarchy could help automate
partitioning - as opposed to current requirements of putting explicit
CHECKs into every child tables of that hierarchy.... and keeping those
check consisting as the schema grows. I'm not too sure though, as I'm
not familiar with postgres implementation internals.

-R