Re: Error message "psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory"

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Error message "psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/14/2012 06:48 AM, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I guess this is a typical user error. I searched around to find the solution, but in vain.
>>>
>>> I just upgraded to Lion, and used Kyngchaos libraries for installation of Postgres.
>>>
>>> Try to get running postgres, and I get this:
>>>
>>>        /usr/local/pgsql-9.1/bin/psql -U postgres
>>>        psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>>>           Is the server running locally and accepting
>>>           connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>>>

>>> In my limited understanding, it seems that Postgres is not running. When I use:
>>>
>>>         ps auxw | grep post
>>>
>>> out comes only the "grep post", but no postgres process.
>>>
>>> When I use:
>>>
>>>         sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.postgresql.postgres.plist
>>>
>>> it says:
>>>
>>>         org.postgresql.postgres: Already loaded
>>>
>>> and displays in the "ps" list then:
>>>
>>>         user        935   0.0  0.1  2493888   7296   ??  Ss    3:24PM   0:00.12
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework/Resources/diskimages-helper-uuid
9EFB9424-7971-4A8B-9D73-B93BD7F1DB5F-post-exec 4

>>> (which looks a bit strange to me (DiskImages ??))
>>>

>>> I am somewhat lost (and worse is that it worked the other day, before re-installing Lion anew.).
>>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/postgres
>> "
>> Notes
>>
>> NOTE: I've had reports of the installer not initializing the data cluster, which results in Postgres not starting.
Itseems to be random, and I haven't figured out the cause yet. If Postgres won't start (you get an error "could not
connectto server: No such file or directory" when trying to connect with psql), try manually initializing the cluster
with:
>> /usr/local/pgsql-9.1/bin/initdb -U postgres \
>> -D /usr/local/pgsql-9.1/data --encoding=UTF8 --locale=en_US"
>> Or see the Locales and Encodings readme if you need a different locale or encoding.
>> Then stop and start Postgres as specified in the read me.
>
> Yeah, I had read that somewhere too, although in my disorientation over the last couple of hours didn't find it
anymore.But I did try it out, but got a

>       "initdb: could not access directory "/usr/local/pgsql-9.1/data": Permission denied"
>
> I guess this is solvable with some "su" access or so. But no idea how. The data directory looks like this:
>
>        drwx------  18 _postgres  _postgres   612 Jun 14 14:25 data
>
> So, the user is not anymore "postgres", but "_postgres", right? I read that this changed with Lion, but not sure how
thisapplied to use with Kyngchaos libraries.

I am not an Apple user so all I can do now is point you at the below. Answer 1 would seem to be a solution:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6814127/lion-update-removed-the-postgres-user-how-to-restore-it

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: RETURNING MORE THAN ONE CUSTOM TYPE FROM FUNCTION
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Problem installing extensions on Lion