Re: XLog changes for 9.3

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: XLog changes for 9.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07.06.2012 18:51, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 7 June 2012 14:50, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
>
>> These changes will help the XLogInsert scaling patch
>
> ...and as I'm sure you're aware will junk much of the replication code
> and almost certainly set back the other work that we have brewing for
> 9.3. So this is a very large curve ball you're throwing there.

I don't think this has much impact on what you're doing (although it's a
bit hard to tell without more details). The way WAL records work is the
same, it's just the code that lays them out on a page, and reads back
from a page, that's changed. And that's fairly isolated in xlog.c.

> If you are going to do this in 9.3, then it has to be early in the
> first Commit Fest and you'll need to be around to quickly follow
> through on all of the other subsequent breakages it will cause,
> otherwise every other piece of work in this area will be halted or
> delayed.

Yeah, the plan is to get this in early, in the first commit fest. Not
only because of possible breakage, but also because my ultimate goal is
the XLogInsert refactoring, and I want do that early in the release
cycle, too.