Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets

От Honza Horak
Тема Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/06/2012 04:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 06, 2012 04:38:42 PM Tom Lane wrote:
>> You might think we should design this exactly like the TCP-socket
>> multiple-listen-addresses case, ie just have a config variable
>> containing a list of directory names.  The sticking point there is
>> that the directories aren't really interchangeable.  In particular,
>> there is still going to be one directory that is the one hard-wired
>> into libpq.
> I wonder if the whole issue doesn't require libpq to also try multiple
> hardcoded socket locations.

I guess so. Let's say we add additional socket support and some server
uses one e.g. at /var/run/postgresql. Then a client can either (1)
specify the same path explicitly and then we don't need to specify any
additional sockets on the client side or (2) stick to the default path,
which is hard-coded, currently to /tmp.

Going back to the original problem (inaccessible /tmp directory), it is
the case (2) -- a client uses the default path. So any additional
client-side socket option won't probably help here, but we would
probably need a second hard-coded path e.g. at /var/run/postgresql.

Regards,
Honza