Re: Early hint bit setting

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Early hint bit setting
Дата
Re: Early hint bit setting  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/30/12 4:42 PM, Ants Aasma wrote:
> I was thinking about what is the earliest time where we could set hint
> bits. This would be just after the commit has been made visible.

Except that's only true when there are no other transactions running. That's been one of the big sticking points about
tryingto proactively set hint bits; in a real system you're not going to gain very much unless you wait a while before
settingthem.

An interesting option might be to keep the first XID that dirtied a page and loop through all pages in the background
lookingfor pages where first_dirty_xid is < the oldest running XID. Those pages would have hint bits that could be set.
Whilescanning the page you would want to set first_dirty_xid to the oldest XID that could not be hinted.

This is a modification of the idea to set hint bits when a page is on it's way out of the buffer; the advantage here is
thatit would also handle pages that are too hot to leave the buffer.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net