Re: Populate Table From Two Other Tables

От Darren Duncan
Тема Re: Populate Table From Two Other Tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I'm surprised: that worked! I thought the WHERE clause was looking for
> equivalency, not an assignment.

SQL generally uses "=" to mean equality test, but sometimes it also uses "=" to
mean assignment; it depends on the context; eg, in an UPDATE statement it can
have both meanings:

   update mytbl
     set foo = 3
     where bar = 5;

Though procedural SQL also uses ":=" to mean assignment.

Thinking that "=" could only ever mean assignment is rather short-sighted; while
many programming languages do that, many more don't.

-- Darren Duncan