Re: Procedural Languages

От John Townsend
Тема Re: Procedural Languages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/31/2012 10:52 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
Minor correction

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM, John Townsend
<jtownsend@advancedformulas.com> wrote:

Fortran was the first computer language for me. (I guess that reveals my age
:-) )
Fortran was my second computer language, but I hated it.
PL/pgSQL is easy to learn for me since it is pascal like. It appears this is
the one to use, if you want to write maintainable code for others. (Next
choice might be Perl*).

PL/pgSQL was the choice by Postbooks. Almost 1300 functions (counting
triggers) are used for the open source addition. It's a good example of how
to do build a nice PG app.

But I don't like the environment, namely using Qt and C++. Of course, if you
have this environment already setup, and you are a good C++ programmer, then
it will not be easy.

*Perl was used in SMB Ledger.
Minor correction:

LedgerSMB uses Perl in the middle layer around the database.  All our
stored procedures are in SQL or PL/PGSQL depending on complexity of
operations and inputs.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Thanks for the correction. I realized later this might be the case after the post.

I had previously downloaded SMB for an examination, but did not restore the database. Therein I would have seen the stored procedures written in pgSQL.

I hope all continues to go well in your SMB project.

jt