Re: Fake async rep target

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Fake async rep target
Дата
Re: Fake async rep target  (james <james@mansionfamily.plus.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/29/12 2:46 PM, james wrote:
> How easy would it be to implement a fake async rep target?
>
> Perhaps even as something that a server could allow a connection to request? (ie a suitably permissioned connection
couldconvert itself to receive n async replication stream, rather than being statically configured?)

> I know that it sounds a bit bonkers, but a while back I worked on a system where we configured a rep target (using
OpenServer)we could observe changes to tables and enqueue secondary processing. Rather painful in that case because of
theway that repserver is configured,

> and I'm not sure it was worth the pain when configuring test and dev environments.
>
> However, in principle, it seems that this is quite an elegant standing for a whole raft of trigger functions - and
probablya lot cheaper to execute. The key, I think, is to be able to allow dynamic attachment of such a 'change feed'
byan account that has god-like read access.

> Is the existing async rep code amenable to this sort of abuse?

How would a client actually use the *binary* information it was handed? There is no ability to turn it into SQL or
anythingsimilar; what is sent is in a completely proprietary, internal-use-only format. Unless that changes (which
therehas been some discussion of) I doubt such a connection would be of any value.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade libraries check
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: FDW / list of needed columns, WHERE conditions (in PlanForeignScan)