Re: main log encoding problem

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: main log encoding problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 05/23/2012 09:15 AM, yi huang wrote:
> I'm using postgresql 9.1.3 from debian squeeze-backports with
> zh_CN.UTF-8 locale, i find my main log (which is
> "/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.1-main.log") contains "???" which
> indicate some sort of charset encoding problem.

It's a known issue, I'm afraid. The PostgreSQL postmaster logs in the
system locale, and the PostgreSQL backends log in whatever encoding
their database is in. They all write to the same log file, producing a
log file full of mixed encoding data that'll choke many text editors.

If you force your editor to re-interpret the file according to the
encoding your database(s) are in, this may help.

In the future it's possible that this may be fixed by logging output to
different files on a per-database basis or by converting the text
encoding of log messages, but no agreement has been reached on the
correct approach and nobody has stepped up to implement it.

--
Craig Ringer