Re: Confusion about composite indexes

От Bill Mitchell
Тема Re: Confusion about composite indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks to everybody's input -- as a first-time poster to this listserv,
I wasn't sure how long it would take to get a response. ;)

I was frankly astonished to see that the composite index on (a,b) was
used when I searched for (a), but Chris' response makes total sense.

In this case, I don't want to go with a MAP due to the fact that I'm
actually using Java Hibernate to generate this schema and access it.

My sample query of using RANDOM() to select a random subset of the
overall outlets was actually to try and defeat any prior caching of
results, and give a more reasonable measurement -- but I didn't realize
the implications.  I had thought that coupled with a MAX clause at the
end it would simply randomize and then bail out early instead of a full
table scan - so thanks to Merlin for pointing that out.

I'll go with a 2nd index on MEDIA_ID and do some measurements of speed
increase, but it makes a lot more sense now.

thank you Postgres gurus!  :D

regards
Bill