Re: timestamps, formatting, and internals

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: timestamps, formatting, and internals
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 05/18/2012 04:19 PM, David Salisbury wrote:

> I'm trying to debug an intermittent problem I'm seeing in one of our
> rollup scripts.
>
> I'll try to summarize. A table has a measured_at field, of which I
> calculate another
> time value based on that field and a longitude value, called solar_noon,
> and I summarize
> min/max values grouped around this solarnoon. While I'm doing this I
> also calculate a
> minimum time difference between the calcualted solar noon value and all
> the measured_at times
> within the group. I then join this summary table back with the original
> table it's
> summarizing, trying to pick out the one record in it that has the
> measured_at value that's closest
> to the solarnoon value of the grouping.
>
> Clear as mud? Anyways, there seems to be a problem on that last part.
> I'm thinking
> the join on these date values is a bit funky. Perhaps things aren't
> matching up on micro
> second values, but it's hard to know with queries if I'm seeing what the
> DB is seeing, as
> date values are stored in seconds and what queries give you is a format
> of that.

I am not sure I follow. Timestamps(which is what I think you are
referring to) can be stored with up to microsecond precision and the
values will be returned at the precision specified.

See here;
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/datatype-datetime.html

> So one question I have is if there a way to set PG in the way Oracle
> does it..
> set nls_date_format = 'YYYY...' so I can query and see exactly what PG
> is seeing,
> even to the microseconds?

Maybe you are looking for data formatting?:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/functions-formatting.html

Is there a config parameter I can set in PG so

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com