Re: Memory usage during sorting

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Memory usage during sorting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4/17/12 7:19 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Peter Geoghegan<peter@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
>> >  All but 4 regression tests pass, but they don't really count
>> >  as failures, since they're down to an assumption in the tests that the
>> >  order certain tuples appear should be the same as our current
>> >  quicksort implementation returns them, even though, in these
>> >  problematic cases, that is partially dictated by implementation - our
>> >  quicksort isn't stable, but timsort is.
> This is an interesting point. If we use a stable sort we'll probably
> be stuck with stable sorts indefinitely. People will start depending
> on the stability and then we'll break their apps if we find a faster
> sort that isn't stable.

I have often wished that I could inject entropy into a test database to ferret out these kinds of issues. In particular
Iworry about things like users depending on specific values for serial types or depending on the order of data in the
heap.

I would find it useful if Postgres had an option to intentionally inject more randomness in areas at the cost of some
performance.IE: have nextval() burn through a small, random number of values before returning one, and have scan
operatorsdo some re-ordering of tuples where appropriate.

If we had such an option and encouraged users to use it in testing, it would reduce the risk of people depending on
behaviorthat they shouldn't be.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net

Сообщение: Re: proposal: additional error fields
Сообщение: Re: proposal: additional error fields