Re: Database upgrading: upgrade server first or client first?

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Database upgrading: upgrade server first or client first?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 04/30/2012 11:34 AM, roy hills wrote:
I'm running a postgresql 8.1 database on a single server which is queried from a number of client systems.
Both server and clients are running Debian Linux.

I need to upgrade from 8.1 to 8.3, but it's difficult for me to upgrade everything at once. Is it possible to
run different versions of the client and server, and if so is it better to upgrade the client first or the server first?

Yes it is.

The advice I've received upon asking this question in the past is clients first then server. We are currently running many 9.1 clients against some servers awaiting upgrade - the most ancient of which is 7.4. The only problem (annoyance, really) is that in interactive psql sessions, a few of the "\" commands don't work with the old servers due to differences in the system tables and similar internal changes between versions.

As always, test your setup.

Also, if putting in the effort to upgrade, consider moving to 9.1 to get all the current feature and performance benefits.

Cheers,
Steve