Re: Configuration Recommendations

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Configuration Recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 04/23/2012 10:56 PM, Jan Nielsen wrote:
> We are planning to rebuild our production 50GB PG 9.0 database serving
> our application platform on the new hardware below. The web-applications
> are 80/20 read/write and the data gateways are even mix 50/50
> read/write; one of the gateways nightly exports & imports ~20% of our
> data.

With enough RAM to hold the database, but that much churn in the nightly
processing, you're most likely to run into VACUUM issues here.  The
trigger point for autovacuum to kick off is at just around 20%, so you
might see problems come and go based on the size of the changed set.
You might consider making your own benchmark test out of a change like
the gateway introduces.  Consider doing your own manual VACUUM or maybe
even VACUUM FREEZE cleanup in sync with the nightly processing if you
want that to be predictable.

> If there are "obviously correct" choices in PG configuration, this would
> be tremendously helpful information to me. I'm planning on using pgbench
> to test the configuration options.

The info at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server is as
useful a checklist for getting started as any.  Note that pgbench is a
very insensitive tool for testing configuration changes usefully.
Results there will bounce around if you change shared_buffers and
checkpoint_segments, but not much else.  And even the changes that test
positive with it don't necessarily translate into better real-world
performance.  For example, you might set shared_buffers to 8GB based on
pgbench TPS numbers going up as it increases, only to find that allows
way too much memory to get dirty between a checkpoint in
production--resulting in slow periods on the server.

And many of the more interesting and tricky parameters to try and tweak
in production, such as work_mem, don't even matter to what pgbench does.
  It's easy to get lost trying pgbench tests without making clear
forward progress for weeks.  Once you've validated the hardware seems to
be delivering reasonable performance, consider running your own more
application-like benchmarks instead.

Сообщение: Re: Parallel Scaling of a pgplsql problem
Сообщение: Re: Parallel Scaling of a pgplsql problem