Re: scale up (postgresql vs mssql)

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: scale up (postgresql vs mssql)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 04/13/2012 09:43 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Steve Crawford
> <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>  wrote:
>> If they are permanent tables used for temporary storage then making them
>> unlogged may be beneficial. But actual temporary tables *are* unlogged and
>> attempting to create an unlogged temporary table will raise an error.
> Interesting, yes, I was wondering why PG didn't make temp tables
> unlogged by default.
>
> Then, I guess, the docs[0] have to mention it. Especially due to the
> error condition. Right?
>
> [0] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createtable.html

Well, the fact that temporary and unlogged cannot be simultaneously
specified *is* documented:

CREATE [ [ GLOBAL | LOCAL ] { TEMPORARY | TEMP } | UNLOGGED ] TABLE [ IF
NOT EXISTS ] table_name

But it would probably be worth adding a note under the description of
temporary tables that they are, in fact, unlogged.

Cheers,
Steve

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL - Help Optimizing performance - full text search on Heroku
От: Claudio Freire
Сообщение: Re: scale up (postgresql vs mssql)