Re: Patch pg_is_in_backup()

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Re: Patch pg_is_in_backup()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Gilles,
   first and foremost, sorry for jumping in this thread so late. I read
all previous discussions and I'd be happy to help you with this patch.

> Agreed and sorry for the response delay. I've attached 2 patches here,
> the first one is the same as before with just the renaming of the
> function into pg_is_in_exclusive_backup().
   My quick response: I really like the idea of having a function that
simply returns a boolean value. To be honest, I would have called it
pg_is_in_backup() as you originally did - after all, I do not execute
pg_start_exclusive_backup() or pg_stop_exclusive_backup(). It is more
intuitive and pairs with pg_is_in_recovery(). I have never found any
mention whatsoever in the documentation that talks about exclusive
backup, and I am afraid it would generate confusion.
   However, I leave this up to the rest of the community's judgement
(here is my opinion).
   I agree also that a function that returns the timestamp of the start
of the backup might be useful. My opinion with the 'exclusive' keyword
applies here too (I would simply name it pg_backup_start_time()).
   Finally, I tried to apply the patch but it looks like we need a new
version that can apply with current HEAD. If you can do that, I am happy
to assist with the review.
   Have a good weekend.

Thank you,
Gabriele

--  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Odd out of memory problem.
От: Greg Stark
Сообщение: Re: measuring lwlock-related latency spikes