Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 Error: Server doesn't listen

От Raymond O'Donnell
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 Error: Server doesn't listen
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On 26/03/2012 23:05, Brian Wiitanen wrote:
> Thank you for responding Ray.  Yes, and I am using Microsoft Windows
> Server 2003 Service Pack 2.  We use PostgreSQL for our old mapping
> software and we have never used anything higher than 8.1  I will try
> to d/l the latest version and see if I can get it working.

Hello Brian,

[please keep replies on-list]

That's a good idea, though it's unlikely to solve your immediate problem
with the connection; and in fact you may find that the newer versions
won't work at all with old software, due to various changes along the
way (there have been five major versions since 8.1); certain automatic
casts have been removed, for example.

I'm no expert, but the message you got means that the client - pgAdmin
in your case - could not make any sort of connection to a Postgres
server on port 5432. If it was connecting but not able to authenticate,
or maybe the host was blocked by a rule in pg_hba.conf, you'd get
different errors.

Your postgres.conf looks OK to me - it's telling PG to listen on port
5432 on all available interfaces. Did you restart PG after making any
changes to this file?

The next thing to check would be any firewall, but you've already turned
that off.

I know I asked already, but did you double-check that the PostgreSQL
service is actually started?

Also, would you by any chance have more than one installation of PG on
that machine? - if so, you might be trying to connect to one that isn't
started. They'll be on different ports.

I don't know what else to suggest, but that's the area to investigate
anyway...

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland