Re: Large PostgreSQL servers

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Large PostgreSQL servers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 03/21/2012 12:31 PM, Kjetil Nygård wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are considering to migrate some of our databases to PostgreSQL.
>
> We wonder if someone could give some hardware / configuration specs for
> large PostgreSQL installations...
You need to tell us a lot more than "large" (a speaker-dependent
description I've heard applied to 100,000 record databases up to
multi-terabyte).

For rough starting approximations how about:

-Estimated data size in GB and number of tuples

-Peak transactions/second required

-Max acceptable transaction latency

-Number of simultaneous connections required

-Nature of workload (OLAP, OLTP, primarily reads or writes)

-Nature of data - is it mostly "vanilla" int/date/text/etc. or is it
large blobs, full-text-search, GIS or the like?

-Maintenance window allowances (running business-hours only or 24x7)

Cheers,
Steve