Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database

От Artur Litwinowicz
Тема Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
W dniu 2012-03-09 16:55, Merlin Moncure pisze:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>
> wrote:
>> 2012/3/6 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
>>> It seems to me that the only thing that needs core support is
>>> the ability to start up the daemon when postmaster is ready to
>>> accept queries, and shut the daemon down when postmaster kills
>>> backends (either because one crashed, or because it's shutting
>>> down).
>>>
>> So, although my motivation is not something like Cron in core, it
>> seems to me Alvaro's idea is quite desirable and reasonable, to
>> be discussed in v9.3.
>
> 100% agree  (having re-read the thread and Alvaro's idea having
> sunk in).  Being able to set up daemon processes side by side with
> the postmaster would fit the bill nicely.  It's pretty interesting
> to think of all the places you could go with it.
>
> merlin

Good to hear that (I hope that even though English is not my native
language I understand properly posts in this thread). I am convinced,
that all of You will be pround of the new solution like a "heart bit"
for PostgreSQL. May be it is too poetic but considering cron or
pgAgent instead real job manager is like considering defibrillator
instead a real heart. Currently, especially in web applications, the
idea is not where to store a data but how a data can flow and how *fast*.

"It's pretty interesting to think of all the places you could go with
it." - in fact it is :)

Best regards,
Artur