Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database

От Artur Litwinowicz
Тема Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
W dniu 2012-03-05 20:56, Alvaro Herrera pisze:

> Excerpts from Artur Litwinowicz's message of lun mar 05 16:18:56 -0300 2012:
>> Dear Developers,
>>    I am looking for elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a
>> database or cluster - for now I can not find that solution.
>
> Yeah, it'd be good to have something.  Many people say it's not
> necessary, and probably some hackers would oppose it; but mainly I think
> we just haven't agreed (or even discussed) what the design of such a
> scheduler would look like.  For example, do we want it to be able to
> just connect and run queries and stuff, or do we want something more
> elaborate able to start programs such as running pg_dump?  What if the
> program crashes -- should it cause the server to restart?  And so on.
> It's not a trivial problem.

Yes, yes it is not a trivial problem... - tools like "pgAgent" are good
when someone starts play with PostgreSQL - but this great environment
(only one serious against something like Oracle or DB2) needs something
professional, production ready. It can not happen when we are upgrading
database or OS and can not compile "pgAgent" because of "strange"
dependences... and for example whole sofisticated solution like web
application with complicated data flow has a problem... For example I am
using stored functions developed in Lua language, which are writing and
reading data to and from Redis server with a periods less then one
minute. Without "heart beat" like precise job manager it can not works
as professional as it can. Every one can use CRON or something like that
- yes it works but PostgreSQL has so many features and something like
job manager is inalienable in mine mind.

Best regards,
Artur

Вложения