Re: Partitioning (Was: Foreign Key to an (abstract?) Parent Table)

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Partitioning (Was: Foreign Key to an (abstract?) Parent Table)
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On 02/21/2012 03:08 PM, Alessandro Gagliardi wrote:
> That is, indeed, where I started. The fact that it does not show how
> to automatically generate new partitions makes it somewhat....

This is probably because automatically creating new partitions in a
query or trigger is not considered a good idea as it can lead to
unfortunate locking and performance problems when multiple processes all
simultaneously decide they need a new partition and attempt to create it.

Pre-create your partitions through a separate process. A simple
cron-script can handle this for you.

Cheers,
Steve