Re: Vacuum rate limit in KBps

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Vacuum rate limit in KBps
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/18/12 4:18 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
> What about doing away with all the arbitrary numbers completely, and just state data rate limits for hit/miss/dirty?

Since many workloads will have a mix of all three, it still seems like
there's some need for weighing these individually, even if they each got
their own rates.  If someone says read=8MB/s and write=4MB/s (the
current effective defaults), I doubt they would be happy with seeing
12MB/s happen.

> BTW, this is a case where it would be damn handy to know if the miss was really a miss or not... in the case where
we'realready rate limiting vacuum, could we afford the cost of get_time_of_day() to see if a miss actually did have to
comefrom disk?

We certainly might if it's a system where timing information is
reasonably cheap, and measuring that exact area will be easy if the
timing test contrib module submitted into this CF gets committed.  I
could see using that to re-classify some misses as hits if the read
returns fast enough.

There's not an obvious way to draw that line though.  The "fast=hit" vs.
"slow=miss" transition happens at very different place on SSD vs.
regular disks, as the simplest example.  I don't see any way to wander
down this path that doesn't end up introducing multiple new GUCs, which
is the opposite of what I'd hoped to do--which was at worst to keep the
same number, but reduce how many were likely to be touched.

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade with plpython is broken
От: Greg Smith
Сообщение: Re: Vacuum rate limit in KBps