Re: Nested custom types: array - unable to insert [SOLVED]

От John L. Poole
Тема Re: Nested custom types: array - unable to insert [SOLVED]
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

On 12/30/2011 7:31 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> [...]
>> 1) a single type
>> 2) an array of types  (this field may be null)
>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> John Poole

>> Here is the SQL to recreate my attempt:
>> --
>> -- Creating a custom data type and inserting/updating example
>> --
>> -- create database demo_typestudy1;
>>
>> create type phoneattribute_type as ENUM
>> ('home','office','day','eve','mobile','fax');
>>

>> create type phonenumber_type as
>> (numbers int,
>> phone_type phoneattribute_type
>> );
>>
>> create type contactphone_type as
>> (primarynumber phonenumber_type,
>> othernumbers phonenumber_type ARRAY
>> );
>>
>> create table people
>> (id integer PRIMARY KEY,
>> username text NOT NULL UNIQUE,
>> phone contactphone_type
>> );
>>
>> --
>> -- create a record w/o phone
>> --
>> insert into people
>> (id, username)
>> VALUES
>> (1,'bob');
>> --
>> -- add the custom data type: contactphone, just the primary and no other
>> -- we'll try adding array values later
>> --
>> update people
>> set phone = ((1234567899,'home'),NULL)
>> where id = 1;
>> --
>> -- also more qualified
>> --
>> update people
>> set phone = ROW(ROW(1234567899,'home'),NULL)
>> where id = 1;
>> --
>> -- most qualified (with casting)
>> --
>> update people
>> set phone = CAST(ROW(CAST(ROW(1234567899,'home') as phonenumber_type),NULL)
>>    as contactphone_type)
>> where id = 1;
>> --
>> -- view it
>> --
>> select phone
>> from people where id = 1;
>> --
>> -- try adding to the array field
>> -- replace the primary and add additional phone numbers
>> -- This is where things go awry.
>> --
>> update people
>> set phone = CAST(ROW(CAST(ROW(1111111,'home') as
>> phonenumber_type),ARRAY[(2222222,'office'),
>> (3333333,'cell'),(4444444,'eve')]::phonenumber_type)
>>    as contactphone_type)
>> where id = 1;
>>

> ... ,ARRAY[ ... ]::phonenumber_type[]
>
> You need to cast to an array of the type which is done by adding the trailing brackets to the type.
>
> Also, your CREATE TYPE syntax (the "othernumbers phonenumber_type ARRAY" part) is something I have not yet seen.
Wheredid you see this? I would have expected it to read "othernumbers phonenumber_type[]"; without the word ARRAY.

> David J.
David et al.,
That works.

demo_typestudy1=# update people
demo_typestudy1-# set phone = CAST(ROW(CAST(ROW(1111111,'home') as
phonenumber_type),ARRAY[(2222222,'office'),
(3333333,'mobile'),(4444444,'eve')]::phonenumber_type[])
demo_typestudy1(# as contactphone_type)
demo_typestudy1-# where id = 1;
UPDATE 1
demo_typestudy1=#

To answer your question, I did originally try

  "othernumbers phonenumber_type[]"

but as I kept running into a wall, I figured I had not tried
a correct syntax and somewhere found the "ARRAY" syntax
as an acceptable form; I figured the more explicit, the better.
It may have been from a railroad diagram.
The type definition was accepted so I ran with it.

Thank you, I spent several hours gated by this issue, so your
insight has been a tremendous help.

John

Вложения

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: David Johnston
Сообщение: Re: Nested custom types: array - unable to insert
От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: Current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block