Re: Philosophical question

От Andreas
Тема Re: Philosophical question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Am 15.12.2011 05:47, schrieb Darren Duncan:
> Darren Duncan wrote:
>> A practice I like that I've seen done for a federal-government scale
>> database program is to have each person using the application to
>> login to the database using their own temporary database user.  How
>> it works is that the database has a users table similar to as if the
>> application was managing users itself, and when the person logs in
>> they are using credentials defined in that table.  What actually
>> happens for login is that there is a special database user which only
>> has privileges to execute a single stored procedure, and the
>> application's login screen talks to the database with that special
>> user and invokes the procedure, giving the person-provided user and
>> pass as procedure arguments.  The stored procedure checks the
>> database table, and if the credentials are accepted, the procedure
>> then generates a new database user and password and gives these back
>> to the application, which then turns around and logs in as the
>> temporary user in order to do all the normal work of the person.
>> This generated user only has the privileges that the person needs.
>> This approach seems to have security benefits of some kinds. --
>> Darren Duncan
>
> I should also clarify that this was a decade ago and the context was a
> desktop application which maintained an open connection for the
> person's work day. Although I think the same technique was also used
> there for web applications afterwards, that used the same database, if
> I don't mis-remember.  I believe this was an Oracle 8 DBMS. -- Darren
> Duncan

I see.
How did they do a "garbage collection" of those temporary users.
A  desktop app does somehow know when it comes to it's end and could
remove the temp user
... provided it didn't crash.

On the other hand a web app might logically be running over a lot of
pages but AFAIK in reality it's processing terminates after every page.
0)  ...
1)  app connects to DB and fetches some stuff
2)  app processes stuff and generates some html form
3)  app disconnects from DB
4)  app sends the form to browser and browser displays that form
5)  app terminates while storing some status stuff e.g. in a session
6)  browser waits for input and some click event to restart the app
7)  browser sends back the data and restarts the app

One could drop the temp-user everytime after step 3 so the DB stays
uncluttered but the on every reconnect there has to be generated a new
temp-user and that looks inefficient.

As is the nature of web apps the user might deside that after step 6) he
rather goes to step xxx) and does some comparative anatomic design
studies in a particularly more interesting corner of the web.
So the web app won't reach step 7 and somehow the dangling temp-user
should be removed.

This needed external scripting probaply triggered by cron every X minutes?

Сообщение: Re: Controlling complexity in queries
Сообщение: Re: Controlling complexity in queries