Re: Philosophical question

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Philosophical question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/15/2011 01:16 AM, Andreas wrote:
> Am 14.12.2011 14:28, schrieb Craig Ringer:
>> On 14/12/2011 8:32 PM, Andreas wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I asked elsewhere about the best way to store db credentials within
>>> a user-session of a web-app.
>>>
>> Where? Link?
>
> Well, it was on the general list of php.net.
> I read your link and understood your not a particular fan of PHP.
I'm not, but all I was referring to there is that PHP's persistent
connections are a very basic tool that for decent performance must be
used with a connection pool. That can be either a pool built in to the
database for those DBs that support it or via a proxy like PgPool or
PgBouncer for DBs like Pg that don't.

If that gave the impression I really dislike the language it wasn't
intended. The runtime isn't as sophisticated, sure, but that has
advantages as well as downsides.

PHP is really handy for quickly putting together basic webapps and has a
lot going for it, especially if you use the more recent versions, enable
the security features, and ALWAYS USE PARAMETERISED STATEMENTS in SQL
rather than string concatenation.

> I'll need to let some specific external users access our PG DB that up
> until now uses a MS-Access frontend.
> PHP seemed to be the easiest approach without having to mess around
> with ASP or JAVA and all this.

Yep, it probably is. The only other thing I'd maybe want to play with is
JBoss Seam Forge - however it's pretty immature and rather under-documented.

--
Craig Ringer