Re: High-Concurrency GiST in postgreSQL

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: High-Concurrency GiST in postgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/5/2011 12:31 PM, C. Mundi wrote:

> Hello.  This is my first post.  As such, feedback on style and choice of
> venue are especially welcome.
>
> I am a regular but not especially expert user of a variety of databases,
> including postgreSQL.
> I have only modest experience with spatial databases.
>
> I have a new project[1] in which GiST could be very useful, provided I
> can achieve high concurrency.<SNIP>

concurrency here can mean different things.  One application hitting PG
which then uses multiple threads? (Not currently possible)  Or one app
with multiple threads each having a database connection?  (Which is
really the same as) Multiple app's each having a database connection?

PG limits one database connection to one cpu.  Multiple connections will
use multiple cpu.

OR, by concurrency, do you mean, non-blocking?  And if you mean
non-blocking, is that for read's, write's, or both?

In PG you can do non-blocking, multiple connections (ie multiple cpu),
reads as much as you want.

Extending to indexes: many connections can read a gist index at the same
time.  Is that what you need?

-Andy