Re: Bug when retrieving money datatype.

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Bug when retrieving money datatype.
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 11/30/2011 10:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mikko Tiihonen<mikko.tiihonen@nitorcreations.com>  writes:
>> I was planning to add the binary format support for money to the
>> jdbc driver when I had some free time. It will solve all parsing
>> problems related to locale and give nice speed boost at the same time.
> I don't think that's exactly a magic bullet.  Yes, it'll mean you don't
> need to know the locale's currency symbol or what it uses for decimal
> point, but how are you going to determine where the decimal point is
> in the binary representation?  You'll still be dependent on knowing the
> server's lc_monetary locale.

I thought `money' was due to go away at some point? Isn't it about time
to start logging:

    WARNING: The "money" datatype is deprecated. Use NUMERIC instead.

... whenever MONEY is used in DDL? Issues like locale-dependent
representation make it all the more painful, and I can't help but wonder
if it's worth trying to fix it.

--
Craig Ringer