Re: [JDBC] Optimize postgres protocol for fixed size arrays

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: [JDBC] Optimize postgres protocol for fixed size arrays
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oliver Jowett  wrote:

> Can we get a mechanism for minor protocol changes in this future
> version? Something as simple as exchanging a list of protocol
> features during the initial handshake (then use only features that
> are present on both sides) would be enough. The difficulty of
> making any protocol changes at the moment is a big stumbling block.

I've been thinking the same thing.  Any new protocol should include a
way for each side to publish a list of what it can accept from the
other during initial handshaking.

> (You could probably retrofit that to the current protocol version)

Perhaps.  It would be great if both sides could recognize the case
where the "feature negotiation" was absent and use a default feature
list for the protocol available on the other end.

-Kevin