Re: Thoughts on "SELECT * EXCLUDING (...) FROM ..."?

От Darren Duncan
Тема Re: Thoughts on "SELECT * EXCLUDING (...) FROM ..."?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Eric Ridge wrote:
> I don't actually like the term "EXCLUDING", but it conveys what's
> happening and is already defined as a keyword.  I thought about
> "EXCEPT", but that doesn't work for obvious reasons, and "NOT" might
> just be confusing.

How about "BUT"?

Is that already in use by something?  Its nice and short and conveys the
"except" meaning.

And there is already precedent for using that word for this purpose.

CJ Date already uses "ALL BUT" in his literature as a modifier to his
illustrative relation projection syntax to give the complementary projection,
like with "r{x,y}" vs "r{all but x,y}".

Also, a more tenuous connection, Larry Wall likes "but" as logical modifier.

-- Darren Duncan

Сообщение: Re: Thoughts on "SELECT * EXCLUDING (...) FROM ..."?
Сообщение: Re: Thoughts on "SELECT * EXCLUDING (...) FROM ..."?