Re: Can someone help explain what's going on from the attached logs?

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Can someone help explain what's going on from the attached logs?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 19/10/11 01:39, Samuel Hwang wrote:
> The log is getting from PostgreSQL 9.0.4
> Basically we set up streaming replication hot-standby slave while master
> is under heavy load
> The slave started but not accepting read-only queries,
> every request will trigger the "FATAL:  the database system is starting
> up" error.
>
> The slave will eventually be able to accept read-only queries after the
> load on master is removed.
> We don't see the same problem if we set up hot-standby slave while
> master is not under heavy load.

It sounds like the standby isn't becoming ready to accept connections
until it first catches up with the master, consuming all available WAL
segments. If this never happens, it never starts accepting connections.

I'm not sure if that's by design or not and if there's any reason it's
that way. Perhaps someone more familiar with recovery can explain?

--
Craig Ringer