Re: autovacuum and orphaned large objects

От Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Тема Re: autovacuum and orphaned large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 24-10-2011 10:57, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think the main reason why vacuumlo is a contrib module rather than
> in core is that it is just a heuristic, and it might not be what
> everyone wants to do.  You could store a bunch of large objects in the
> database and use the returned OIDs to generate links that you email to
> users, and then when the user clicks on the link we retrieve the
> corresponding LO and send it to the user over HTTP.  In that design,
> there are no tables in the database at all, yet the large objects
> aren't orphaned.

Uau, what a strange method to solve a problem and possibly bloat your
database. No, I'm not suggesting that we forbid it. The proposed method could
cleanup orphaned LO in 95% (if not 99%) of the use cases.

I've never heard someone using LO like you describe it. It seems strange that
someone distributes an OID number but (s)he does not store its reference at
the same database. Yes, it is a possibility but ...

--    Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira       http://www.timbira.com.br/   PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento

От: desmodemone
Сообщение: Re: [9.1] unusable for large views
От: "Omar Bettin"
Сообщение: Monster query