Re: Optimize the database performance

От Andy Colson
Тема Re: Optimize the database performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 10/17/2011 04:48 AM, Micka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a postgres 9.1 database used for map generating ( tiles ).
> The system has 24Go RAM and 5 processors.
> I'm using geoserver to generate the tiles.
>
> My data used 8486 MB  => psql -d gis -c "SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('gis'))"
>
> I've carefully indexes the table by the "the_geom" column.
>
> Here is my database config :
>
> --> change :
> --> listen_addresses = '*'
> --> max_connections = 50
> --> tcp_keepalives_idle = 60                # TCP_KEEPIDLE, in seconds;
> --> shared_buffers = 1024MB                 # 10% of available RAM
> --> work_mem = 256MB                        # min 64kB
> --> maintenance_work_mem = 256MB            # min 1MB
> --> effective_cache_size = 5120MB
> --> autovacuum = off
>
> sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
> -->   kernel.shmmax=5368709120
> -->   kernel.shmall=5368709120
>
> I wanted to have your opinion about this config ?  What can I do to optimize the performance ?
>
> Thank you,

Yeah... We're gonna need some more details.  Whats slow?  Are you CPU bound or IO bound?  How many concurrent db
connections? What does vmstat look like?  And 10% of 24 gig is 2.4 gig, not 1 gig.

Or is this box doing something else.  I noticeeffective_cache_size is only 5 gig, so you must be doing other things on
thisbox.

> --> autovacuum = off

Are you vacuuming by hand!?   If not this is a "really bad idea" (tm)(c)(r)

-Andy